Polyvinyl chloride (PVC) roofing is one of the most popular single-ply commercial roofing systems available today. Here’s what makes it a good flat roofing material.
What Is PVC Roofing?
PVC is a versatile and durable type of plastic used for making many household items. In fact, you may be more familiar with its other name: vinyl. This is the same type of plastic used for making anything from plumbing pipes and siding to toys and records. As a roofing material, PVC is installed as a single layer of material over the roofing substrate, with seams welded using heat. Depending on the roofing requirements, PVC roofing can be installed loose-laid and weighted down using ballast, or adhered using fasteners and/or adhesives.
Advantages of PVC Roofing
PVC roofing offers the following advantages:
- Reflectivity — A white or light-colored roof has reflective properties. This helps reduce the heat that would otherwise get absorbed through the roof. In addition to reducing indoor cooling requirements (resulting in energy savings), it also helps mitigate the urban heat island effect.
- Recyclable — PVC is one of the few types of plastics that is 100% recyclable. This means only a small fraction of a PVC roof’s discarded material ever makes it into the landfill.
- Sustainable — PVC is easily repairable. Punctures can be quickly patched while damaged seams can be re-welded using heat. If at some point the roof needs to be modified to accommodate additions like satellite dishes, new vent pipes or solar panels, there will be no need to reinstall a new layer of PVC.
- Durable — With proper care and maintenance, a PVC roof can last a few decades. In terms of commercial roofing, this can help save on roofing costs.
- Lightweight — Lightweight roofing can be an advantage if your property does not support heavier roofing systems, such as built-up roofing. PVC roofs also make it possible to install thicker insulation under the substrate without requiring longer fasteners, which can affect the roof installation cost.
Twin Rivers Roofing is your leading provider of roof installation services. Give us a call at (540) 899-7774, or fill out our contact form. We serve customers in the Fredericksburg and the Northern Neck region of Virginia, as well as the surrounding areas.